The mission of Fresh Approach is to encourage healthier children, families and communities through community education, innovative programming and novel partnerships that promote a stronger local food system and better-informed choices about food and nutrition.
Founded in 2008, Fresh Approach works in close partnership with the Pacific Coast Farmers’ Market Association to connect the healthy food and local food movements in the San Francisco Bay Area through educational outreach and programs.
- VeggieRx provides vouchers for fresh fruits and vegetables to families in obesity prevention and diabetes management programs while monitoring their progress toward improved health.
- Market Match provides incentives to CalFresh customers at Bay Area farmers’ markets to allow them to stretch their food dollars while improving their diets.
- Freshest Cargo is a mobile farmers’ market that sources fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers at Bay Area farms and farmers’ markets to sell in food deserts in Contra Costa County.
- Healthy Food/Healthy You provides nutrition classes at social service sites and in partnership with community-based organizations to arm consumers with the knowledge they need to make better food choices.
- Fresh Education provides orientations and trainings on sustainable agriculture issues through farmers’ market tours and school-based programming.
- Food Within Reach is assists community-based organizations in the San Jose area to take advantage of the city’s new zoning regulations to increase access to fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables in areas of high need.
- All of these programs are supported by a Volunteer & Internship Program which engages the energy of committed allies throughout the Bay Area.